An Introduction To The Owner and Editor Of MyOxton
Hello…..my name is Jill Jones and I manage and own the MyOxton website. I have lived in Oxton with my husband, David, for 22 years. During that time I served on the Parish Council from 2007 to 2016, seven of those as Chairman. During those years there were many achievements and these are a few on which I was proud to lead:
- Fundraising/project managed installation of the children’s play area
- Organised a village meeting in October 2009 which ultimately led to the launch of the 2011 Oxton Village Plan
- Held discussions with Parishioners, the Plunkett Foundation and Post Office Management to save the village shop/PO in case it failed to sell
- Led the way in getting Oxton to be one of the first villages in Nottinghamshire to have fibre Broadband in early 2012
- Encouraged County Highways to fully re- tarmac Main Street and also a large stretch Honeyknab Lane due to its rapid deterioration
- Continually pursued improvements to Oxton’s flood defence system
- Vigorously lobbied County Highways for a ‘Local Access Only’ order on New Road/Sandy Lane
- Encouraged Parishioners to lobby against Oxton being reassigned into the Blidworth ward
Today, as well as managing the website, I am one of three Trustees for the Thomas Bell Trust whose aim is to provide capital expenditure funding for the Village Hall.
I played a key role in relaunching the ‘Oxton Social Committee’; 24 people attended the first meeting in January 2019 and from this a small group formed the ‘Oxton Events Team’. The first event, a ‘Village Get-Together’, will be held on Saturday 15th June 2019.
May 2019 saw elections to the Parish Council and I am pleased to say I was re-elected with a majority.
If and when fresh challenges appear for our beautiful village I will be among the first to take a pivotal role.